Can Kids Drink Kombucha; Some Pros and Cons
Kombucha is a trendy drink among adults as well as in kids. It is a fermented tea with a vinegary taste. Like other drinks, some people love it, and some don’t like it. Besides taste, this beverage has a lot of health benefits. Now the question asked by parents is, “Can kids drink Kombucha?” let’s discuss it.
What is kombucha?
Kombucha is an old traditional concoction made up of fermentation of black, green, and oolong tea with bacteria and yeast and sugar. The fermentation causes the production of kombucha and gives the sugary-tart flavor. Kombucha is healthy tea with enrichment of vitamin B, organic acid, and antioxidant agents.
Can kids drink kombucha?
This drink is full of healthy nutrients, including living microbes. Those patients who have digestion problems also recommended drinking kombucha by doctors. But it is also true that it contains a small amount of alcohol. So, many parents avoid giving this drink to their kids.
Pros of drinking Kombucha:
The main pros of kombucha are that it is marketed as a label of healthy drink. Some others are down here:
- Kombucha is also known as mushroom tea, because of bacteria yeast fermentation. It produces the lactic acid bacteria that works as a probiotic agent. It also helps with weight loss.
- It works like a green tea, and give the same benefit of it. It controls your weight and also helps to balance your blood sugar level.
- Antioxidants in food are more beneficial than antioxidant supplements. Kombucha tea has antioxidants that reduce the toxicity in the liver and other organs.
- It is full of tea polyphenol and acetic acid that results in the vinegary effect in it. So, it fights against different harmful bacteria.
Cons of drinking Kombucha:
As like any other drink, it also has side effects for adults as well as kids. Some of them are down here:
- Taking too much kombucha is not good. It is a highly nutrient and calorie drink. It results in a high consumption of calories and leads to overweight and obesity.
- Due to fermentation, carbonation starts there. So, CO2 causes bloating and gas in the digestive system, which results in diarrhea.
- In the market, there are different kinds of kombucha available. So, always choose the low sugar kombucha as high sugar is unhealthy.
- Breastfeeding mothers, pregnant lady and those who have no healthy immune system should not take this drink. It is strictly prohibited to them.
- It has low caffeine than regular tea. But your overdrinking causes many issues. It may addict your kids. it leads to anxiety and aggression in them.
In my opinion, kids shouldn’t drink kombucha. But if they want to drink, don’t make it a regular habit. The doctor doesn’t suggest you give this beverage to your kid. As it has alcohol and caffeine, both are addictive drink. There are also available many healthy and nutritious drinks for kids in the market. You may give them after the nutritionist’s permission.
I hope it would help you to find your answer. Be healthy and safe!