How to Get Rid of Baby Hiccups; Causes and Preventive Measures
It is not unusual for your baby to have hiccups from time to time. Hiccups are nothing to worry about. You can do simple things to prevent hiccups. When they happen, they usually go away on their own in a few minutes. But read on to know how to get rid of baby hiccups completely.
Causes of hiccups in newborns and babies
It is usual for babies to get hiccups from time to time. You may also notice that your baby hiccups when he/she is in your womb. Those hiccups lead to rhythmic jerks in your uterus. So there is nothing to worry about.
What causes hiccups in babies? Baby hiccups are caused by the action of the diaphragm and sudden closing of the vocal cords. The sudden closing of vocal cords results in hiccups. This happens when your baby is excited or nervous about something, or it also happens when you feed him.
Since it bothers adults and some people assume that it also bothers babies. But it does not affect the baby at all. In Fact, many babies can sleep through the bout of hiccups without being disturbed, and it rarely interferes with the baby’s breathing.
how to get rid of baby hiccups
If your baby gets hiccups while feeding, then stop feeding immediately and burp him and change the position. In general, try to soothe your baby. Hiccups usually go away on their own in a few minutes, and you can again continue feeding.
When your baby gets hiccups, it does not bother too much, but still, you can help your baby by keeping him relaxed and calm as possible. You can pacify your baby by having easy playtime, and gentle rocking and make sure that your baby’s diaper is clean.
How to prevent hiccups in babies
- It is difficult to prevent your baby’s hiccups entirely so you can try other methods to avoid your baby’s hiccups. Here I list some tips for you;
- After feeding, try not to play substantial activity with your baby, such as bouncing up and down.
- Keep you, baby, in an upright position for 20 to 30 minutes just after every meal.
- Make sure your baby is calm during feeding. This does not mean that your baby is crying and upset before his/her feeding begins.
- If your baby feels in discomfort due to his/her hiccups, then you may try Gripe water. It is a combination of herbs and water that is believed to be the best solution for baby hiccups. It is somewhat a low-risk product. But make sure to read all the ingredients before making the purchase.
- Babies hiccup does not always start from feeding. When your baby begins to hiccups on their own, try allowing them to use a pacifier, which helps the baby’s diaphragm relax and stop bouts of hiccups.
Your baby’s hiccups go away by the time as your baby reaches his/her first birthday. However, if it continues after that time, then consult with your doctor. At this stage, a doctor will be able to rule out any other possible causes.